Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Talking the Talk

Monday
Tuesday
Wednesday
Thursday
Friday
Learning shit is hard.  I have been taking a GMAT prep course every monday night since school started and it has humbled me.  I don't remember the basic equations of geometry, I can't multiply any times tables past 5, and, sadly (I am an English teacher after all), I can barely recognize the appropriate use of the simple past versus the past perfect when put on the spot.  While its doing an awful number on my self-esteem, feeling stupid for 3 hours a week is likely the best professional development I have ever received. 

If I don't end up with a respectable score on the GMAT, I will at least walk away from my study program feeling that I did not waste a grand so much as gained a thousand dollars worth of empathy.  One might argue that this is actually a priceless acquisition.  That is a nice sentiment, however, boundless empathy coupled with my already limitless patience will not a premiere MBA acceptance make.  These characteristics may make me a nice person and an above average teacher, but I think they also make me a chump.  I have been on a mission this year to de-chumpify my professional life.  Somehow my educational background (a BA from U of M Ann Arbor and an MA from CU Boulder) and my background in education (4 years in a Colorado public school), don't seem education-y enough, so I figured it was time to go back for another round--see if a few more letters behind my name won't finally erase those pesky insecurities always buzzing up in my head.  I'm still trying to piece together what exactly I feel is my future in business, but I can tell you that it has something to do with "sustainability"...yeah, how do you like that hot lingo?  With a vocabulary like that, I am definitely ready for business school.

No comments:

Post a Comment