Monday, September 14, 2009

I could start spiking my coffee in the AM...

but instead I've decided to tackle my near certain third year teacher burnout head on.  I've come up with a completely frivolous challenge that will hopefully give me something more entertaining than lesson plans and grading to think about before bed each night, and, after a solo Saturday night double-feature moment of weakness of viewing Julie/Julia, have decided to get all up in the blogosphere about this shit.
      So, what was it all those years ago that gave me the necessary kick in the ass to roll out of my warm little down-feather oven and brave another morning on the barren train platforms of Chicago? Aside from my Mom's excellent nagging, I recall that it was always easier to hit my icy planked floor on a Midwest winter morning when I knew I had picked out the perfect outfit the previous night.  There was an energy early in the a.m., just before the sun came up, that would hoist my sleepy self out of bed so I would have enough time to pick out the essential accessories and lock down the right shoes.   Somehow this ritual of sifting through every hanger in my closet and opening and closing all the drawers in the hour before bedtime has been replaced by sifting through growing stacks of papers to grade and slamming my laptop closed after hours of lesson planning.  I'm hitting the wall. Hard.  While there are no longer little crushes to try to impress and no "Best Dressed" senior superlative at stake, I figure clothes still make me absolutely deliriously superficial and wonderfully happy!  Why not combine the do-gooder in me with the materialistic shopaholic and see if they can't get along?  Everyday a new outfit.  That's it.  Will see what I dream up tonight for day 1 tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment